Friday, December 14, 2007

A poem

The day I met you the sun was shining bright.
As your eyes met mine, my heart was already in your hands.
We spent hours talking, laughing, having a great time.
I knew you were the one, I knew we'd never part.

One day you were different, and the battles had begun.
The first between you and me, the second me and me.
Your words cut me like a knife, my thoughts weren't my own,
My soul had gone away, my heart in pieces on the floor.

Walking on eggshells, everything locked inside.
How do I listen to my heart when it gives off different signs?
Did you really love me or was it all an act?
Isn't love supposed to be like Romeo and Juliet?

As I applied the daily makeup to the bruises and the scars,
I looked at the girl staring back at me, and wondered who she was.
What happened to the girl I used to be, the one with the smile?
When did she go away and bury herself alive?

When did the pain start? When did it end?
I was like a bird trapped in a cage, waiting to be set free.
Finally I woke up, it was time to let you go.
The clouds had gone, the sun was out, it was time to be on my own.

The battles have ended, the wounds have healed.
I stole back the pieces of my heart and glued them one by one.
My soul is in it's place and my thoughts again my own.
I am feeling whole again and I'm happy on my own.

Alana Bender April 24, 2004

1 comment:

trish said...

Wonderful insightful poem. Keep it up!